Friday, March 12, 2010

packing area

The first area of my new workshop that I set up was my packing area. My giant white table is in the middle of the room surrounded by shelves holding all my stock and I can see through into the sewing room which is a mighty fine view! I made the table using bookcases for legs and a BIG piece of white board for the table top ::

I use the whole table whilst preparing orders....to pile up orders, cut felt & ribbon, count and bag buttons, pack kits, tie rainbows and pick felt-y colours....but I saved a dedicated corner of the table for my leaf green tissue and paperwork (the cardboard box holds all my completed orders, ready and waiting for when I do the weekly paperwork & accounts)
The shelf under the tissue has a space for all my packing stationery, cardboard (so things can't get bent) and white paper bags ::

sellotape, stickers, post office items, address labels and thank you cards are all close to hand ::

in the gap between shelves I keep all my large size purple packing bags & paper bags (in a wood CD rack from Wilkinsons) ::

the next shelf has smaller purple bags, shiny white boxes and a few (!) spare notebooks waiting for lists! ::

the next gap has my roll of bubble wrap, spare ribbon gift boxes and used jiffy envelopes; all stored in old boxes from the day job ::
the last shelf on the packing side of the table is where I stand to cut ribbon and count and bag buttons ::
It holds ribbon gift boxes, my tag gun (it's new...I'm still designing the swing tags so it has yet to be used!) and lots of different sizes of grip seal bags for buttons & findings, along with lots of little boxes that I count items into and then tip in to the bags.
It has to be said that I do really enjoy packing up orders...I enjoy shopping for nice stationery items but most of all I enjoy making my own stationery. I print and cut out all my thank you cards & address labels and I've just learnt how to print circle stickers which I have fallen in love with!
All my handmade products are made with care & attention to detail and all the supplies I sell are handpicked for good quality and design and I think they deserve to be packaged with care ... what about you? do you believe that packaging is important too?

15 comments:

sassypackrat said...

I love your packing and shipping table! You are so organized! I'd love to have a table that large to spread out on.

Lynne said...

You strike me as being a very organised person. I've thought it before, but you really illustrate here. I think your customers appreciate the care and attention you take with the packing.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

oh, everything is so organized!! have a nice weekend!

Lisa Pidgeon said...

Yes I do think packaging is important. My children squeal with delight when your orders come through the sheer joy of unwrapping your lovingly wrapped gifts. The circular sticker get recycled as well done stickers and the green tissue paper from my last order will be recycled as mini gifts for my daughters 100% handmade party bags!

claireP said...

Definitely! I always love to get a nicely packed order - even if I know what it is it still makes it special and seem more like a present than just something I've bought! :)

jazzalblue said...

I really want to buy something so I can get such a special parcel in the post. Only problem is how to pay for it when I live in NZ.

Justine said...

Sarah you are sooo lucky to have all that dedicated space for your crafty business- I really don't know how you have time to do it as well as hold down a day job too!! You'll be glad to know that we too lurve your packages and the kids love the stickers - u'll have to let me know how to print them!! We recycle the tissue paper, either into pattern paper or for the kids crafting!!

Claire Vincent said...

Thank you for the order that I received this week, and yes I do love the way you package it all up. I did show my hubby but he wasn't bothered, I guess it's a girl thing.
I really like the way you packaged up the drawing pins in your last post, I would have been very excited to receive one of those boxes.

Unknown said...

Oh my life...I just drooled on the keyboard!! Sarah, that is my idea of heaven :D

L x

Hannah said...

It's lovely to see someone so organised! Definitely gets me motivated! :P

Alexa de MujerVirtuosa said...

oh my! you have a great! and giantic workshop i just loved it i hope one day ill have mine hehehe....
SALUDOS DESDE MEXICO!!!!

IM YOUR FAN!!!!

Julia said...

Yes, I do think it is important. It shows that you care about the products that you sell and your packaging area is fab! I make sure my orders are packaged nicely and customers do appreciate this. Can I be cheeky and ask where you purchase your small white boxes from? I'm after some similar for my little business. xx

Neon Whispers said...

Packaging is most definitely important.
When I ordered from your website the pretty tissue, stickers and brown paper bags that my order came in made my day!!
You should be very proud of yourself, your work is inspirational.

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

The giant table is absolutely great and if I had the room would make a fantastic craft workdesk.
Anne xx

SekociNorlie said...

OMG!!!! the rack deco is simple but very-very nice!! u very organise person...