Thursday, July 24, 2008

felt washing experiments

I cut two pieces of felt, exactly the same size.
...popped one in the washing machine (40 degree wash with powder and softener + a duvet cover, can't just wash one bit of felt can I!) and it came out looking like this ::
haha!
once it had dried I layed it on the other sheet to check for shrinkage ::
...it shrunk....a lot!!
BUT what a lovely texture ::
Next I cut another two pieces and this time I hand washed one piece (with special kind-to-wool washing liquid, in lukewarm water) and once it dried it looked like this::
It shrank a bit and the texture changed to this ::
ooohhhh the possibilities of newly-washed-chunky-lumpy-felt....
*this whole experiment was inspired by a customer, thanks Net :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, how exciting! The 1st piece kinda looks like synthetic fleece. Looking forward to seeing what you use it for!

Lindsey said...

How fab! I've tried it before with handmade felt when I can't be bothered to keep rolling :o) Love the lumpy knubbly bits.

Kitty said...

Gosh, what fun! I like the first one - wanted to reach through the screen and touch it! x

Apryl said...

my husband once washed my favourite purple wool hat... and I turned it into a little flower brooch... but thats about all my sewing skills can do... I did felt a teal scarf from the charity shop to play at learnign to sew... I never got very far though but it was a lovely texture.. I think I migth have used it as wrapping for some jewellery when I ran out of paper...

ann aludra said...

oh no! it shrunk!
i sewed a felt cupcake on a baby onesie!
oh dear this is gonna be bad news! heh!

but now we know!

- ann (stubbornsnails.com) singapore