Tuesday, July 08, 2008

batches

Now all my Christmas samples are made I have started to work out prices.
The first step of that process for me is making items in batches.
The first batch I did was the robots I posted yesterday and now I have a few Fir Trees too :-)
I wish there was a secret formulae to help with working out prices! (is there? is it really a secret and I don't know what it is??)
I've worked in retail for ...ooohhh how long.....9 years ....and pricing has always seemed like educated guess work! I've only really worked at independent shops where I have had an input and (sometimes) control over prices charged. It's good fun to do and a luxury to be able to see people's reactions and to learn if you've got it right or not!
In the shops we would have a cost price as a basis for our educated guess work and that is why I make in batches...it gives me the chance to work out the cost of materials used and an idea of the time it takes too. I then 'guess' the prices to charge based on that!
I have a lot of batches on my to do list so expect lots of pics from me this week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with pricing! The fir trees look super cute.

Holly said...

So cute! I love that the trees are so many colours >__<

Kitty said...

No more batches as big as those cup cakes though, eh? :-D x

Unknown said...

hi, you have won a brilliant blog award. pop over to my blog. right click on award and save to your blog with the instructions. well done,

Me and Him said...

It's hard isn't it? I work in retail right now and setting prices is one of the things I least like.

Good luck

Jess said...

i just took a small business management class this past semester and one of the things they taught us was don't aim for 100% profit, but start with lower prices to generate sells. sells volume with the return of clientèle will generate more profit in the long run :)